Your home’s asphalt shingle roof is more than just a protective barrier; it’s a vital part of your property’s aesthetics and structural integrity. Over time, asphalt shingle roofs can accumulate:
- Algae growth
- Other unsightly contaminants
It’s important to start with an inspection and never neglect the issue.
Neglecting these issues not only diminishes your home’s curb appeal but can also lead to costly damage. In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the specifics of cleaning asphalt shingle roofs – what it involves, its benefits, how to clean roof shingles, how often you should do it, and essential maintenance tips to keep your roof in optimal condition.
What is Asphalt Shingle Roof Cleaning?
Asphalt shingle roof cleaning is the process of removing dirt, moss, algae, lichen, and other contaminants from the surface of your asphalt shingle roof. It is a critical aspect of home maintenance that can help extend your roof’s lifespan, improve its appearance, and prevent potential structural issues. Cleaning asphalt shingle roofs involves specific methods and considerations to ensure the longevity of your roofing materials.
👍 Benefits of Asphalt Shingle Roof Cleaning
- Prolong Roof Lifespan: Regular asphalt shingle roof cleaning can extend the life of your roof by preventing contaminants from causing shingle deterioration and structural damage.
- Enhance Curb Appeal: A clean asphalt shingle roof dramatically improves your home’s curb appeal, making it look newer and well-maintained.
- Prevent Structural Damage: Algae and moss growth can trap moisture, leading to rot and damage to your roof’s wooden components. Cleaning your asphalt shingle roof can prevent these issues from developing.
- Lower Energy Costs: A clean roof reflects more sunlight and heat, reducing the amount of heat absorbed into your home and potentially lowering energy bills, especially during hot summer months.
- Maintain Warranty: Many asphalt shingle roofing warranties require regular maintenance and cleaning to remain valid. Neglecting roof maintenance can void your warranty.
How to Clean Your Asphalt Shingle Roof: 8 Steps
Cleaning your asphalt shingle roof involves several steps, and it’s crucial to take the right precautions to ensure safety and effectiveness:
- Safety gear (harness, helmet, gloves, and non-slip shoes)
- Garden hose with a spray nozzle
- Asphalt shingle roof cleaner solution (biodegradable and eco-friendly)
- Soft-bristle scrub brush or broom
Step 1: Safety First
Before you start, ensure you have all the necessary safety equipment. Never attempt to clean your asphalt shingle roof without the proper gear, including a harness and helmet. Safety should always be your top priority.
Step 2: Remove Debris
Begin by clearing any loose debris like leaves, branches, and twigs from your asphalt shingle roof. Use a roof rake or a broom with soft bristles to gently sweep the surface. Be careful not to damage the shingles.
Step 3: Pre-wet the Roof
Using a garden hose with a spray nozzle, thoroughly wet the entire surface of your asphalt shingle roof. This helps to loosen dirt and contaminants and prevents the cleaning solution from drying too quickly.
Step 4: Apply Cleaning Solution
Apply a biodegradable and eco-friendly asphalt shingle roof cleaning solution to the roof’s surface. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the specific product you’re using, and allow the solution to sit for the recommended time to break down contaminants.
Step 5: Gently Scrub
Using a soft-bristle scrub brush or broom, gently scrub the asphalt shingle roof’s surface to agitate the cleaning solution and loosen dirt, moss, and algae. Be cautious not to damage the shingles while scrubbing.
Step 6: Rinse Thoroughly
After scrubbing, thoroughly rinse the asphalt shingle roof with a garden hose. Start from the top and work your way down to ensure all cleaning solution and contaminants are washed away.
Step 7: Prevent Future Growth
Consider installing zinc or copper strips on your asphalt shingle roof to inhibit the regrowth of moss and algae. These metals release ions that deter these organisms from taking hold on your roof.
Step 8: Final Inspection
Inspect your asphalt shingle roof for any remaining debris or damage. Make any necessary repairs or replacements promptly to avoid further issues.
How Often Should You Clean Your Asphalt Shingle Roof?
The frequency of cleaning your asphalt shingle roof depends on several factors, including your location, the type and extent of contaminants, and local climate conditions. As a general guideline:
- Annual Inspections: It’s a good practice to inspect your asphalt shingle roof at least once a year to identify potential issues.
- Regular Cleaning: Depending on your location and the level of contamination, you may need to clean your asphalt shingle roof every 2 to 5 years. Areas with high humidity or frequent rainfall may require more frequent cleaning.
- Preventive Maintenance: Consider installing zinc or copper strips on your roof to prevent the growth of moss and algae, reducing the need for frequent cleaning.
- Immediate Attention: If you notice significant moss or algae growth or damage to your asphalt shingle roof, address it promptly to prevent further deterioration.
Other Asphalt Shingle Roof Maintenance Tips
Maintaining your roof is hugely important when it comes to extending the life of your roof. Here are some simple tips that you can use to take care of your home.
- Trim Overhanging Trees: Overhanging branches can deposit leaves, twigs, and debris onto your roof. Trim them to prevent this and reduce the risk of falling branches.
- Gutter Maintenance: Keep your gutters clean and free of debris. Clogged gutters can lead to water pooling on your roof, causing damage.
- Regular Attic Inspections: Periodically inspect your attic for signs of leaks or moisture. Detecting problems early can prevent extensive damage.
- Professional Inspection: Consider hiring a professional roofing contractor for a thorough inspection and maintenance services.
- Warranty Compliance: If you have an asphalt shingle roofing warranty, ensure that you comply with its maintenance requirements to preserve the warranty’s validity.
Keep Your Asphalt Shingles In Good Shape
Cleaning your asphalt shingle roof is a vital part of maintaining your home’s appearance and structural integrity. By following the steps outlined in this guide and prioritizing safety, you can extend the life of your roof, enhance your home’s curb appeal, and prevent costly repairs.Remember that if you’re unsure or uncomfortable with the cleaning process, it’s best to hire a professional to do the job. At Tectum Roofing, we make sure to take the proper safety precautions while still ensuring that you end up with a long-lasting result. Contact us today to set up your appointment!