When it comes to protecting your home from the elements, few components are as vital as your roof. A solid, well-installed roof is essential for:
- Safeguarding your property 🚨
- Maintaining your home value 💰
- Increasing energy efficiency 💡
- Boosting curb appeal 🏡
However, even the best roofs can encounter unforeseen issues, such as leaks, material defects, or improper installation. This is where a roofing warranty comes into play. In this blog post, we will delve into the concept of a roofing warranty, how it works, and why it is crucial for homeowners.
What Is a Roofing Warranty?
A roofing warranty is a legal agreement between the homeowner and the roofing manufacturer or contractor that guarantees the quality, durability, and performance of the roofing materials and installation. It serves as a promise from the manufacturer or contractor that they will rectify any defects or problems that occur within a specified period.
2 Types of Roofing Warranties
There are two main types of roof warranties. As a homeowner, it is essential to understand the differences so you understand exactly what is covered and what is not.
1) Manufacturer’s Warranty
A manufacturer’s warranty is provided by the manufacturer of the roofing materials and covers any defects or faults in the products themselves. This means that if your roofing materials are cracked, aging unusually fast, or suffering from any problems due to faulty design, you will not be on the hook for replacing them.
Manufacturers’ warranties typically vary in duration, ranging from 10 to 50 years, depending on the material and brand. It is important to note that manufacturers’ warranties do not cover installation issues or damage caused by external factors such as severe weather conditions.
It is good to note that defective shingles and other issues are very rare, and regular wear and tear from environmental exposure and neglect should not be confused with defective materials!
2) Contractor’s Workmanship Warranty
This warranty is offered by the roofing contractor and covers any problems resulting from faulty installation or workmanship errors. The duration of this warranty varies among contractors but is typically around one to five years. It is crucial to understand the terms and conditions of the contractor’s workmanship warranty before hiring them for your roofing project. That way, you’ll be able to identify the difference between normal wear and tear and faulty installation.
How Does a Roofing Warranty Work?
So, you understand what a warranty is. But how do you get it to work for you when you need it?
In the event of a roofing issue covered by the warranty, the homeowner must notify the manufacturer or contractor promptly. The warranty agreement will outline the steps to follow, which may include providing proof of purchase, documentation of the problem, and allowing access to the property for inspection or repair.
If the problem is deemed to be covered by the warranty, the manufacturer or contractor will take the necessary actions to rectify the issue. This could involve:
- Repairing the roof
- Replacing damaged materials
- Reimbursing the homeowner for the repair costs.
It is important to remember that warranty coverage varies, and not all issues may be included. Wondering what your warranty covers? You can get a better understanding of your product warranty by visiting the manufacturer’s website.
Why Do You Need a Roof Warranty?
Workmanship warranties, product warranties…they might sound fine and dandy, but are they really that important at the end of the day?
The truth is that a good warranty can be the difference between an expensive roof replacement that comes out of your pocket and one that costs you nothing! Still not sold? Here are a few other reasons to consider investing in a roofing contractor’s workmanship warranty and product warranties.
- Protection and Peace of Mind: A roofing warranty offers protection against potential defects or problems that may arise with your roof. It assures homeowners that they are not alone in dealing with unexpected issues and that the manufacturer or contractor will stand behind their products and services. This peace of mind is invaluable, knowing that your investment is protected.
- Financial Security: Roofs can be a significant financial investment. Should any issues arise, having a warranty in place can save homeowners from incurring substantial repair or replacement costs. Without a warranty, you would be solely responsible for covering these expenses, which can strain your budget or savings.
- Quality Assurance: A roofing warranty is a testament to the confidence and quality of the manufacturer or contractor. Companies that offer robust warranties are often committed to providing superior materials and workmanship. By choosing a product or service backed by a solid warranty, you can have confidence in the reliability and durability of your roof.
- Increased Property Value: A transferrable roofing warranty can be an attractive selling point for potential buyers when you decide to sell your home. It demonstrates that the roof has been well-maintained and gives reassurance to buyers that they won’t have to worry about immediate roofing expenses.
Work With a Team You Can Trust
A roofing warranty provides you with a safety net, protecting your investment and providing peace of mind. It guarantees the quality and performance of the roofing materials and installation, and it offers financial security in the event of any defects or problems.
Now that you understand the different types of warranties and the coverage they provide, you can make informed decisions when selecting roofing materials and contractors. Remember, a roofing warranty is not just a piece of paper; it is an assurance that your home is protected for years to come.
If you’re looking for a roofing company that offers lifetime warranties and superb teammates, look no further than Tectum Roofing. We’re proud to be industry leaders who are ready to answer any questions that you might have. Contact us today to receive your roofing estimate!